Re: [SLUG] scp problems

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Wed Jun 28 2006 - 10:20:05 EDT

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006, Kwan Lowe wrote:

> Ahh.. I read this as "SSH works from the same IP address, but SCP
> doesn't."

No, that's correct. Brief table:

             \ called from
transferring \ here there
        files +-------------------------------
            in | OK fails remote, works local
           out | ? OK

Worse, for the "called from there" column, I used either pscp or WinSCP,
both of which run in XP. (I don't have access to a *ix box remotely.)
So it could be a fault in those, or XP's network stack. That's why I'm
looking for a fault in Linux first -- it's easier to fix. Also, for "there"
I went through the router; I don't know how much difference that makes.

> That SSH doesn't work means it's more likely a firewall/router
> issue.

SSH does work, but that's what I thought. That or something USF's doing.

>> If I can't make it work, any suggestions for file transfer? If I have to
>> run an ssh daemon on the laptop under XP, I will, but I'm trying to keep it
>> as lightly loaded as possible.
>
> Maybe this:
> http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_SSH_Reverse_Tunnel

I don't normally have problems with SSH -- I have my router forward port
22(/TCP?) to this machine, then I connect remotely to port 22 at the
router's IP address, which has a DDNS name attached to it (the router
notifies no-ip.com to update the DDNS name).

--
-eben   QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP   royalty.no-ip.org:81

This message was created using recycled electrons. ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.