Re: [SLUG] configure problem

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Sat Jul 15 2006 - 00:25:30 EDT

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006, Bob Stia wrote:

> Hello Sluggers,
>
> Can anyone tell me why this has failed? Other than the ltconfig error?
> I do have libtool installed. Is it maybe a 64 bit problem?

> EasyStreet:/usr/src/ACE-2.0 # ./configure
> checking for a BSD compatible install... (cached) /usr/bin/install -c
> checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... (cached) yes
> checking for working aclocal... found
> checking for working autoconf... found
> checking for working automake... found
> checking for working autoheader... found
> checking for working makeinfo... missing
> checking host system type... Invalid configuration `x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu':
> machine `x86_64-unknown' not recognized
>
> checking build system type... Invalid configuration
> `x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu': machine `x86_64-unknown' not recognized

I suspect it has something to do with this, but

locate gcc | xargs grep -l gnu | xargs grep -l unknown | xargs grep -l x86

turned up no likely candidates. Maybe if you "grep 'checking host system
type' $CONFIGDIR/*" that'll say what it's really doing, then you can find
out what accepted codes there are and supply one that's close to what was
autodetected. Don't know for sure, though.

If you can override without doing all that, try replacing "x86_64" with
"x86", unless 32-bit binaries are a PITA.

> Is the libtool configure failure because of the 64 bit OS? Is there a
> ltconfig file? or is that a part of the compile process.

That's my guess, or rather some tool's inability to deal with
"x86_64-unknown".

> Someone on another list told me to pass the -m32 option for gcc to make it
> compile in 32 bit mode. Tried that also but I get an unknown option.
> Maybe my syntax at the CLI is wrong.

Dunno why -- looks like it's still valid:

   -m32
   -m64
       Generate code for a 32-bit or 64-bit environment. The 32-bit envi-
       ronment sets int, long and pointer to 32 bits and generates code
       that runs on any i386 system. The 64-bit environment sets int to
       32 bits and long and pointer to 64 bits and generates code for
       AMD's x86-64 architecture.

Are you sure you passed it to gcc, not some other tool?

--
"Never go off on tangents, which are lines that intersect a curve at
only one point and were discovered by Euclid, who lived in the 6th