Re: [SLUG] configure problem

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sat Jul 15 2006 - 03:26:47 EDT

Bob Stia wrote:
> Hello Sluggers,
>
> Can anyone tell me why this has failed? Other than the ltconfig error?
> I do have libtool installed. Is it maybe a 64 bit problem?

> EasyStreet:/usr/src/ACE-2.0 # ./configure
> checking for a BSD compatible install... (cached) /usr/bin/install -c
> checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... (cached) yes
> checking for working aclocal... found
> checking for working autoconf... found
> checking for working automake... found
> checking for working autoheader... found
> checking for working makeinfo... missing
> checking host system type... Invalid configuration `x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu':
> machine `x86_64-unknown' not recognized

<snip>

At a guess, I'd say that autoconf is using a tool like uname to discern
the system type (an Intel 64 bit system), and autoconf does not
understand the return code (x86_64). Because of this, I would assume
that this package and the autoconf software that came with it will not
compile on such a system without modification to autoconf and/or the
code itself. While you may be able to force it to compile for a standard
x86 (32 bit) platform, I don't know how you'd do it. Moreover, if you're
running on a 64 bit machine, I'd be concerned that the 32 bit libraries
are in the right place. This is a transition period between 32 bit and
64 bit machines, and they often have libraries stuck in odd places as a
result. Much wailing and gnashing of teeth occurs because of this.

Of course, don't quote me on any of this. I'm not an expert on autoconf.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster