Re: [SLUG] DSL & Telephone Lines

From: Kwan Lowe (kwan@digitalhermit.com)
Date: Mon Jul 17 2006 - 22:14:53 EDT

> Is there any particular type of wire one must use on the line side feeding to the
> wall connector that then passes to the eathernet ? I know on the out side of the
> eathernet modem one needs to use cat 5 but since I am refering to the hardwiring on
> the input side of the modem not to the output side which uses cat 5 what does one
> use?

If you're talking about the line between the DSL modem and the wall outlet (i.e.,
where you'd normally plug in a handset) then no, there's nothing special needed
except a phone line. The line running from the wall jack around the house to the
outside is just regular phone cable. However, if you're having problems with the
connection then you can rewire it to the outside access box. Somewhere in there I
had an intermittent line break so I ran new cable and also shortened the route by
about 20 feet. I didn't have problems after that.

You may also want to check which pair of wire is being used. The telephone wire is 4
conductor, of which two are used. In case of phone problems, one of the things a
tech may do is to switch to the other pair. This should be fine as long as the other
pair is sound. Supposedly a problem could occur if it's miswired to use neighboring
pairs. Voice conversations will be fine but DSL may suffer.

Or you could have what I did at my last house. There were eight phone jacks
throughout the house. Six were wired to two connectors. The other two were wired to
the second set of connectors with a short wire jumpering to the first set. Think of
what happens when you attempt to connect six leads to a screwdown :D Breathing on
the thing would cause static in the lines. I ended up replacing it with a box that
had screwdowns for each pair. It cost around $40 for the box but I think it was
worth it.

BTW, some people have mentioned using CAT5 from the outlet to the modem and
supposedly have better throughput. I dunno. Unless the 90% of the cable sitting
behind the wall jack is also CAT5, I don't see how it could be all that useful
(unless the problem is occurring from the equipment itself). There's also the
problem of connecting an 8-conductor wire to the standard RJ11 phone jack...

--
* The Digital Hermit   http://www.digitalhermit.com
* Unix and Linux Solutions   kwan@digitalhermit.com