Re: [SLUG] DSL & Telephone Lines

From: SOTL (s0tl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Jul 18 2006 - 11:01:56 EDT

Paul M Foster wrote:

> SOTL wrote:
>
>> Hi All
>>
>> What a pain doing email in a browser.
>>
>> To start I moved so I no longer live in the old location ie Tampa.
>>
>> I have I think dial up if I can make the phone system work. The issue
>> of making the phone system work has little to do with the phone
>> system and more to do with the big stack of boxes in front of it but
>> that is another story. One issue is that I must run a new phone line
>> and that brings up a interesting question.
>> Comming from Maw Bell, not a Verison system but an old Maw Bell
>> system, the two conductor black cable from the telephone pole
>> connects to the side of the house, enters a lightning errestor, and
>> then passes into the basement where it goes to a junction box.
>

> Check that your black cable is not 4 conductor. Two conductor would be
> very unusual. Basement, eh? Obviously, you're not in Florida anymore. ;-}

For houses the standard for 50 years was 2 conductor STEAL wire each
wire coted with a rubber insulation then both recovered with a bonded
coting of rubber insulation coted with a 2 layers of fiber rapping one
clockwise twist one counter clockwise all recoated with a heavy
protective jacket with a final size of 3/8 " by 1/2 ".

>> Is there any particular type of wire one must use on the line side
>> feeding
>
> > to the wall connector that then passes to the eathernet ? I know on
> the out side of the
> > eathernet modem one needs to use cat 5 but since I am refering to the
> > hardwiring on the input side of the modem not to the output side
> which uses cat 5 what
> > does one use?
>

> First, terminology. "Line side" = inbound or from the source. "Load
> side" = opposite the line side, where the load actually is. The line
> side of your modem (the side going toward the phone company) can be
> just plain old phone wire, available at any hardware store.

The Line side wire is the wire being referred to. A pain in the ass to
run. Starting outside then into the basements, up the inside of walls,
through the attic, down the inside of wall, and around the out house to
get to the future wall jack.

> The jacks are called RJ11s and have space for four wires. The two
> inside conductors are for the main line. The two outside conductors
> are for a second line. Polarity is important, but I don't recall
> which one is positive and which negative.

> The inside two wires would normally be red and green, the outside
> black and yellow. Most houses these days are wired with cat5 from jack
> to jack (if I'm not mistaken), but from the jack to your equipment,
> it's just four wires (cat3?). Yes, you probably need cat5 from the
> modem to your computer. That's 8 wire cable (four pairs) and the jack
> is an RJ45.

The house I am refering original telephone wiring is still in the attic
or at least portions of it are still there. It was open steal wire on
glass insulators. Most of this was replaced by my self with then modern
(1960) 4 wire telephone wire most like of the cat 1 variety meaning non
twisted 2 pair wire.

Wiring Modem to computer is no physical issue; it make take me 10
minutes to install but is not a big deal.
On the other hand the wire form the outside J box to the wall connector
may take 2 days of hard work to install and is a complete pain so I want
to make sure that I install the right wire type of wire.

> You don't need a DSL filter from the jack to your modem, but you will
> need one on any regular phone jacks in the house that share that line.
> The DSL filters cut line noise that may interfere with the sidebands
> that DSL uses to transmit its signal. If you're just using dial-up,
> all this is moot.

The current advertised rate for DSL is $24.00 per month with a guarantee
that the rate will not change after subscription. This is a rate about
$1.00 more than my dial up rate from Earthlink and since I do not have
access to the office DSL line here looks good.