Re: [SLUG] DSL & Telephone Lines

From: Richard Smoot (rsmoot@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Jul 18 2006 - 12:13:25 EDT

On Tuesday 18 July 2006 10:32, SOTL wrote:
> Richard Smoot wrote:
> >On Monday 17 July 2006 21:20, SOTL wrote:
> >>Hi All
> >>
> >>What a pain doing email in a browser.
> >>
> >>To start I moved so I no longer live in the old location ie Tampa.
> >>
> >>I have I think dial up if I can make the phone system work. The issue of
> >>making the phone system work has little to do with the phone system and
> >>more to do with the big stack of boxes in front of it but that is another
> >>story. One issue is that I must run a new phone line and that brings up
> >> a interesting question.
> >>
> >>Comming from Maw Bell, not a Verison system but an old Maw Bell system,
> >> the two conductor black cable from the telephone pole connects to the
> >> side of the house, enters a lightning errestor, and then passes into the
> >> basement where it goes to a junction box.
> >>
> >>Is there any particular type of wire one must use on the line side
> >> feeding to the wall connector that then passes to the eathernet ? I know
> >> on the out side of the eathernet modem one needs to use cat 5 but since
> >> I am refering to the hardwiring on the input side of the modem not to
> >> the output side which uses cat 5 what does one use?
> >>
> >>Frank
> >>-----------------------------------------------------------------------
> >
> >Did MAW Bell give you a self install DSL Modem package?
> >Normally there is a filter to separate the DSL signal from regular
> >phone stuff ans then to the DSL Modem with more or less regular
> >phone cable. Then your ethernet comes from the DSL Modem to your
> >computer or your router.
> >
> > Richard Smoot
>
> Haven't got to the level of getting DSL yet.
>
> As I understand it the building owner et is responsible for all wiring
> installation from building junction box to the actual phone or telephone
> device such as a DSL modem. This may be incorrect but that is certainly
> the way it is with Verizon and commercial connections in Tampa.
>
> What I am trying to ascertain is there any particular type of wire I
> need to use to make this cable run which I intend to do myself since
> that will save me several hundard dollars. After the cable run is made
> then I will get Maw Bell to make the connections on both ends but the
> actual pulling of the cable I will do and that will be a real pain in
> the ass so I have no desires to repeat the experience.
>
> Frank

Use Cat 3 cable. It a two line cable. Use the black and red wires for
your hookup. Cat 3 is what was used for ethernet before they went
to Cat 5 for higher speed ethernet.
Cat 3 can handle 2 phones but is commonly used for 1.
Cat 5 is a 4 phone cable and the RJ45 ends are also used for
4 line systems.

                       Richard Smoot