Re: [SLUG] configure problem -BTW

From: Ian C. Blenke (ian@blenke.com)
Date: Tue Jul 18 2006 - 11:48:56 EDT

Ian C. Blenke wrote:
> In some cases, the source simply isn't 64bit safe, and you must hunt
> down a newer development tree of that source base in hopes of finding a
> version that is.
>
> Simply put, the source _must_ be 64bit safe. It must be aware of
> building in a 64bit environment.
>
> Your package, ACE 2.0, appears to be a virtual private server
> administration harness released back on 05/09/2000. That was 6 years
> ago. I'll wager that the source isn't 64bit safe.

As an addendum: someone mentioned something earlier in this thread that
might need some clarification. If you pass "-m32" to gcc, you can build
a 32bit runtime. Sometimes you can get away by simply:

    $ export CFLAGS="-m32"

Then run your configure/make.

That is to say, sometimes. I've found many cases where it's simply best
to build a 32bit chroot environment to build 32bit runtimes inside of that.

    # uname -m
    x86_64
    # mkdir -p /chroot/sarge-ia32/
    # debootstrap --arch i386 sarge /chroot/woody-ia32/
http://ftp.debian.org/debian/
    # linux32 chroot /chroot/sarge-ia32/ bash
    bash$ uname -m
    i686

That's all there is to it.

Have fun.