Re: [SLUG] SLE 10 is now shipping.

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Sun Jul 23 2006 - 09:47:56 EDT

On Sunday 23 July 2006 05:24, Possum wrote:

> Interesting... can you get adobe/mp3 support even through opensuse using
> YAST? Or do they at least offer all the FOSS software that interfaces with
> it? (I haven't used SUSE since the 9 days)

Well, it plays just fine.

> The other question (may not be relevant) I have is the question of legality
> of playing DVD's... Is it possible to (legally) play them on SLED?

Huh, not any different from any other distro... I don't think anyone can win a
trial, where they claim you cannot play your legally bought DVD, under
Linux. The lib used to watch them has however been found legal in court.
(Granted in Europeen court.)

> Honestly, I really like the SLED 10 screenshots (they're pretty)...but if
> it doesn't offer the same operational value, I think I'll remain with my
> current distro.

It really depends on what kind of a user you are. I'm a power user and I've
never stayed with SuSE for any longer period, I always go back to fedora or
whatever. But one cannot deny the beauty of good clean integration.
SLED/Gnome is at this point as clean as anything out of Redmond, if not
better.

At this point I'm running SLED 10.1 on one of my computers until I find it not
worth while. (And I'm putting SuSE 10?) on another to compare the two.

3D acceleration on the desktop should have been standard a long time ago.
Unfortunately this test machine does not have a GL compatible card so I'm
loosing out on that. (I did run it on another machine earlier and it's
amazing when you get that kind of desktop speed.

SLED will be the distro I install on any newbee's or corporate computer.

--

Steve Szmidt

"To enjoy the right of political self-government, men must be capable of personal self-government - the virtue of self-control. A people without decency cannot be secure in its liberty. From the Declaration Principles ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.