Re: [SLUG] Upgraded to 10.1 Yeeowwww!!

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Sun Jul 23 2006 - 09:55:37 EDT

On Saturday 22 July 2006 21:07, Chuck Hast wrote:
> I had some small issues such as a loss of power in the middle of the up
> grade (dog dived under computer table and shut down UPS due to thunder
> noise, just as well of not had UPS... Now dog can not push against UPS
> switch B-b;;;;;;;;;) Anyhow after recovering from that I got 10.1 in there,
> and after it all my desktop came up, and all looked OK until I tried to get
> on the net. Found that 10.1 found my interface and I was able after a while
> to find that dhcpcd-test wlan0 would finally show it getitng all of the
> dhcp data, but when I did a ifconfig wlan0 there was not IP address shown,
> even though dhcpcd-test DID show one assigned.. I had to manually go in and
> use ifconfig to attach the address to wlan0. At that point I had to go in
> and do a manual route add default gw... Now I can ping things out side of
> my local network... BUT if I try to use the browser there is no
> communications from the browser to the IP stack it looks like. I have had
> to deal with the route add for ever and ever (seem that they can not get
> that to work for some reason, have to do it manually) but now all of
> this...
>
> Anyone have any idea of what is going on? I thought maybe it was
> permissions, but does not look that way...

Standardly check ifconfig for IP, then netstat -nr for default route, then
resolv.conf for dns. At that point you are usually up.

With multiple interfaces's verify that the GW is on the right I/F.

If you can ping outside but not use names your dns is wrong.

One thing with SuSE/Novell is that you have to go through a few more steps to
add IP, GW, host name and DNS.

Now if you are runing DHSCP it should come automatically. Again it should be
OK with one interface. There has been issues with some dhcp daemons not
recognizing the dhcp server, but I doubt it very much with 10.1.

--

Steve Szmidt

"To enjoy the right of political self-government, men must be capable of personal self-government - the virtue of self-control. A people without decency cannot be secure in its liberty. From the Declaration Principles ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.