Re: [SLUG] Upgraded to 10.1 Yeeowwww!!

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Jul 23 2006 - 17:36:32 EDT

On 7/23/06, steve szmidt <steve@szmidt.org> wrote:
> On Saturday 22 July 2006 21:07, Chuck Hast wrote:
> > I had some small issues such as a loss of power in the middle of the up
> > grade (dog dived under computer table and shut down UPS due to thunder
> > noise, just as well of not had UPS... Now dog can not push against UPS
> > switch B-b;;;;;;;;;) Anyhow after recovering from that I got 10.1 in there,
> > and after it all my desktop came up, and all looked OK until I tried to get
> > on the net. Found that 10.1 found my interface and I was able after a while
> > to find that dhcpcd-test wlan0 would finally show it getitng all of the
> > dhcp data, but when I did a ifconfig wlan0 there was not IP address shown,
> > even though dhcpcd-test DID show one assigned.. I had to manually go in and
> > use ifconfig to attach the address to wlan0. At that point I had to go in
> > and do a manual route add default gw... Now I can ping things out side of
> > my local network... BUT if I try to use the browser there is no
> > communications from the browser to the IP stack it looks like. I have had
> > to deal with the route add for ever and ever (seem that they can not get
> > that to work for some reason, have to do it manually) but now all of
> > this...
> >
> > Anyone have any idea of what is going on? I thought maybe it was
> > permissions, but does not look that way...
>
> Standardly check ifconfig for IP, then netstat -nr for default route, then
> resolv.conf for dns. At that point you are usually up.
>
> With multiple interfaces's verify that the GW is on the right I/F.
>
> If you can ping outside but not use names your dns is wrong.
>
> One thing with SuSE/Novell is that you have to go through a few more steps to
> add IP, GW, host name and DNS.
>
> Now if you are runing DHSCP it should come automatically. Again it should be
> OK with one interface. There has been issues with some dhcp daemons not
> recognizing the dhcp server, but I doubt it very much with 10.1.
> --

When the machine comes up here are the steps I have to go through to
get it on line.
ifconfig wlan0
     Shows the device is there but does not report a assigned address
dhcpcd-test wlan0
     After several tries, finally showed all of the usual data.
ifconfig wlan0
     Still shows no IP address
       I fixed it manually doing ifconfig wlan0 192.168.1.201
route
     does not show the default route
     after several route commands I do a route add default gw 192.168.1.1
NOW I have internet access, but I am trying to figure out what each one of
these processes is not passing the data on to the next, I still have to have
the DNS addresses manually entered into good old resolv.conf as those do
not get passed on from the dhcpcd info to resolv.conf.
In my view this isssue has got worse than it was under 10.0, the other stuff
appears better, seems I see that other apps are more responsive, I just
would like to know why the different pieces of the network handling can not
seem to talk, or have I not done something correctly?

I did find out why the browser did not want to talk (after running into all of
the above issues I was gun shy) the "work off line" box had been checked,
it appears that the browser when it starts up (both firefox and konquerer)
Start up initially with that box checked (that was the first time I had run
into this or even really noticed it), once I unchecked it in the browser I was
able to do the usual browser things.

--
Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
To paraphrase my flight instructor;