Re: [SLUG] Are md5sums errors frequent?

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Sun Jul 23 2006 - 17:11:43 EDT

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006, Donald E Haselwood wrote:

>> Well, a small lottery. ISTR the Florida Lotto (pick 6 balls out of 40) is
>> 13 billion or so combinations.
>>
> Tho a bit OT, isn't the FL Lotto 54 (or 55) balls?

Dunno, I've never "played". AFAIC it's a voluntary tax, and I choose not to
pay.

> 40 balls gives 2.76E9 and if the pool is 55, 20.8E9. I get 2^128 =
> 3.4E38...indeed a modest number ;)

eben@pc:~$ dc -e '2 128^p'
340282366920938463463374607431768211456

Oh yeah, I must have been computing 2^32. 2^128 is, as you say, bigger than
a lottery.

--
-eben   QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP   royalty.no-ip.org:81
          They that can give up essential liberty to