Re: [SLUG] Upgraded to 10.1 Yeeowwww!!

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Jul 23 2006 - 20:59:17 EDT

On 7/23/06, Robin 'Roblimo' Miller <robin@roblimo.com> wrote:

> > Hmm, that well may be. I had a similar issue with a packet switch I built
> > up, it was trying to load some stuff before other stuff that needed to be
> > up and running first. Once I moved things around that fixed it. Will have
> > to check that one out. You maybe on to something as it has to load ndis-
> > wrapper first in order to hear the dhcp server, and get a IP. I will
> > have to
> > look there.
>
> I just went through SUS 10.1 wireless setup fun myself. Everything
> looked like it was working but no connection. Finally clicked on the
> little (not intuitively obvious) knetwork manager, noticed that when I
> clicked on "linksys" it was not activated. I activated it. Now I have
> wireless.
>
> W00t! A cloak of poweruserness descends onto my shoulders.

I clicked on that little bugger right out of the box and it did nothing for
me. Honestly I want my IP stack to come up BEFORE the gui starts, I
am going to have to look at this and see why all of this gui crap needs
to be running to get the comms going. I want to be able to ping, ftp,
use LYNX or whatever else CLI that happens in my head before the
gui is running, not after, if I wanted that I would run the W word...

> Now I'm trying to do patches/updates. Gawdawful slow. And ran into
> some login stupidity while trying to do the autoupdate thing, too. I am
> not impressed with this version of SUSE so far.

Yea, someone needs to take that one out behind the shed and shoot it,
it was slow under 10.0, but now it is like watching glass drip (remember
glass IS a liquid, just real thick) I hope that they get that fixed as it is
way too slow now. If you are not logged in as root it YaST will ask you
for root login, once that is done it gets into the SLOW part.

--
Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
To paraphrase my flight instructor;