Re: [SLUG] Upgraded to 10.1 Yeeowwww!!

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Jul 23 2006 - 23:02:22 EDT

On 7/23/06, Logan Tygart <thelogan@allyourbase-arebelongto.us> wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-07-23 at 21:36 -0400, Logan Tygart wrote:
> > On Sun, 2006-07-23 at 20:59 -0400, Chuck Hast wrote:
> > > On 7/23/06, Robin 'Roblimo' Miller <robin@roblimo.com> wrote:
> > <snip>
> <snip>
> > Maybe you have out grown the prepackaged distros. You might be a "power
> > user" or possibly "man-bear-pig".[1] You might consider another distro
> > and give it a whirl. I use Debian.[2] It has always worked for me and
> > its price has yet to vary, in the seven years I've used it. There are
> > folk who subscribe to Gentoo,[3] the price is the same as Debian's and I
> > personally gave it a whirl, but I don't have patience to wait for that
> > nonsense to compile. If I had that amount of time on my hands, I'd do
> > it the old school way.[4]
> >
> > The Logan
> >
> > 1. http://www.allyourbase-arebelongto.us/node/109
> > 2. http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/
> > 3. http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/where.xml
> > 4. http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/
>
> Oh yeah, with Debian, security updates are the same price as the distro.
>
> If you delight in SuSE's graphical display, as much as this makes my
> Debian core recoil in horror, you might try Ubuntu. Ubuntu is an
> ancient African word meaning, "I can't configure Debian." But it
> configures itself, automagically. Minimal or no RTFMing required.

I use Debian for the packet switches, I have not had that much time
to continue it, I use SuSE because we use it at the office and it is
either that or Windows (yech!) and it has done a pretty good job so
far. I hope that SuSE/Novell is just going through a stage and they
get it settled down.

I need to get some time somewhere and test some of the other
distros, I used to use a lot of Red Hat, as we used it at my previous
place of work.

So many distros and so little time.... B-[

--
Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
To paraphrase my flight instructor;