Re: [SLUG] Upgraded to 10.1 Yeeowwww!!

From: Robin 'Roblimo' Miller (robin@roblimo.com)
Date: Mon Jul 24 2006 - 09:19:59 EDT

> Unexpected and unprecedented load on the update/activation/registration
> servers. Resistance to change is futile. Feedback on the shortcomings is
> warranted.

We'll see. I'm burning the SLED CDs right now, will do screen capture
vids of the SLED install process today, see how it goes. Test computer =
Toshiba Satellite 1410 that has successfully run earlier versions of SUSE.

Right now, Logan digs aside, I think Ubuntu is "the one to beat" for
easy-to-use Linux. Either the EasyUbuntu or Automatix script installs
all the usual "proprietary add-on" software in one easy lump; I'm
talking Flash, DeCss, MP3, MS Fonts, 'Dobe reader, etc.

The main reason I see for going with an RPM-based,
commercially-supported distro instead of Ubuntu is that many
specialized commercial programs are only available as RPMs, and are
only "supported" for Red Hat/Fedora/SUSE.

Maybe I'll change my mind after I get SLED installed. We'll see. I
happily used SUSE as my "daily driver" for several years.

- Robin