Re: [SLUG] SLE 10 is now shipping.

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Mon Jul 24 2006 - 09:40:24 EDT

On Monday 24 July 2006 00:43, Eben King wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Jul 2006, michael hast wrote:
> > Possum wrote:
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> >> The other question (may not be relevant) I have is the question of
> >> legality of playing DVD's... Is it possible to (legally) play them on
> >> SLED?
> >>
> >> Honestly, I really like the SLED 10 screenshots (they're pretty)...but
> >> if it doesn't offer the same operational value, I think I'll remain with
> >> my current distro.
> >
> > Okay, you've hit on something there that I have seen alluded to, but
> > never heard anything outright on. Is it illegal to play DVD's on
> > free-as-in-beer Linux?
>
> I think so. That's why some distros don't haveDVD-playing code in them as
> shipped; you have to get it yourself (at least I think they don't; I know
> some do that with MP3s).

I think the truth is closer to it not having been tried in (US) court (it was
in Europe and was deemed OK) so until then the big corporations with lots of
money to loose don't want to take any chances.

It is however a total cinch to install DeCSS on most any distro.

Of course some companies like us all to have nightmare simply over the idea of
not watching it under winblow. In the end you can hardly expect to get a
legal reply on a list, like this one or any other.

What is interesting how each case that goes to court highlights the weak legal
position the music pirates, eh industry seem to have. There are "comments"
made by a superior court judge saying the DMCA is being abused by said
industry.

In fairness one cannot come along and say you cannot watch your legally
obtained dvd because you are running under the wrong O/S, and expect it to be
upheld by the people. (Laws being a reflection of how people feel.)

When the Norwegian superior court kicked out the attempt to stop DeCSS, that
said it is a legal tool in all of Europe. Plus US often follows laws from
Europe so I'm not banking on DMCA to dare to attack it as it could make more
people aware of it and I'd expect would be a big liability.

--

Steve Szmidt

"To enjoy the right of political self-government, men must be capable of personal self-government - the virtue of self-control. A people without decency cannot be secure in its liberty. From the Declaration Principles ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.