Re: [SLUG] server upgrade

From: Ian C. Blenke (ian@blenke.com)
Date: Wed Jul 26 2006 - 16:08:54 EDT

steve szmidt wrote:

>On Wednesday 26 July 2006 13:56, Eben King wrote:
>

>>On Wed, 26 Jul 2006, Mark Bishop wrote:
>>

>>>Ok, so how does this sound. Get two PATA drives, mirror them in a RAID.
>>>

>>Software or hardware RAID? I still don't think you can boot from a
>>software RAID drive, as at boot time, there's no software running to
>>interpret the RAID.
>>

>We covered howto nicely at the middle of month.

To answer this more specifically (though I'd love to add things like
this to the SLUG FAQ):

1. You can use "autodetect software raid" and mark your root raid slices
as partition type "fd". Your kernel will auto-probe for partition type
"fd" and auto-assemble those partitions into a root raid device.

2. You can specify a boot command line like "md0=1,/dev/hda1,/dev/hda2"
and manually specify the software md devices in your lilo/grub kernel
arguments.

So, yes, you can boot off of a software raid root device.

Converting a running system to use software raid for the root filesystem
is also relatively simple once you get the feel for "missing" devices.
Google for "mdadm missing".

- Ian C. Blenke <ian@blenke.com>