Re: [SLUG] freespire

From: michael hast (evylrobot19@cox.net)
Date: Mon Jul 31 2006 - 01:06:55 EDT

Robert Snyder wrote:

> On 7/29/06, *michael hast* <evylrobot19@cox.net
> <mailto:evylrobot19@cox.net>> wrote:
>
> Robert Snyder wrote:
> >

> > What draw do you have to Linspire/Freespire every copy I seen
> of both
> > have proven it to be a half baked distro.
> Well, primarily, the propietary stuff that ships with it. I'm not
> familiar with another distro like that. Especially when
> free-as-in-beer. I don't see myself switching over from Debian
> anytime
> soon, but it does look fascinating enough to check out.
> Secondly, I plan on setting up a home theater PC in the
> not-so-distant future. I don't really want to have to sit around and
> configure the crap out of the thing so I can watch a movie, or
> whatever. This might be a valid option to a Mac, a hacked Xbox (which
> I've never really considered a VALID option), or dare I say it, a
> Windhoes PC.
> So, that's the draw I have. Do you have other suggestions for
> that
> type of distro?
>

> My biggest problem with both of them as I tried both before is for all
> the qoute on qoute benefits it offers if I want to get something that
> they have not pre compiled then I am simply sol.
>
> Joe suggested Movix now if your simply going to watch movies on it
> movix is a great distro . For an overall desktop I say pick on of
> the buntus

Fair enough! I downloaded and burned Freespire, so I feel almost
obligated to install it on a test machine once I get around to piecing
one together, but I will definately take it with a grain of salt in the
process given the testimonial. After what I have heard about it here, I
don't expect it to do what I want it to, but I gotta try, you know what
I mean? Anyway, I will have to check out the links, and I'm hoping that
I can get this thing set up without going through Big Business. Thanx, all!

--Michael

--
"You can tell the ideals of a nation by its advertisements." ~ Norman Douglas