Re: [SLUG] dark line on monitors

From: Ian C. Blenke (ian@blenke.com)
Date: Wed Aug 02 2006 - 23:30:44 EDT

michael hast wrote:
> I have a weird one for you here! When I first got my 21" monitor,
> I noticed a couple of dark lines that ran across it, East to West, in
> one row of pixels each. At the time, I was running an ATI card and
> had assumed that it was some kind of flaw with either the card or the
> monitor. I felt like I could live with it given the price of the
> components. Since then, I've been using that same monitor, joined
> with another 21" monitor and a new NVidia card. Just now, I happened
> to notice that those two lines that I had long since tuned out, are
> spanning both monitors. That kind of blows out the idea of the card
> since I'm using a different video card now, and that eliminates the
> idea of the monitor since it's on two now. I am at a loss as to what
> it could possibly be. Any ideas? Thanks!

I've seen this before with two monitors right next to one another. If
you separate them, do the scanlines go away?

Same make and model of monitor? A completely different video card?

Are you specifying a modeline, or are you letting the monitors present
their own EDID information to set the resolution/refresh rates?

If you're using the auto-probed EDID settings, I can't suggest a freaky
modeline...

It almost sounds like a visible vertical retrace scanline of some kind.

There aren't many things remaining.
- Some kind of lossy cabling issue (how long are you running the video,
and are you using extender cables?)
- Ground fault (somehow)?
- Some freakish external EMF interference?

Otherwise, I'm at a loss too.

Do you have a third monitor and video card handy to swap in and out of
this equation? I've generally found that the magic number 3 makes for a
good troubleshooting base (tie breaker). If you have a commonality
across all 3 monitors and video cards, I'm totally at a loss on this one.