Re: [SLUG] SLE 10 is now shipping.- corrected insited and updated

From: John Pugh (jpugh@novell.com)
Date: Thu Aug 03 2006 - 12:01:22 EDT

<200608031121.58780.steve@szmidt.org>, steve szmidt <steve@szmidt.org>
wrote:

> On Thursday 03 August 2006 11:14, steve szmidt wrote:
>> I'm also running RC3. Can I do an update from it to 10, or should I
do a
>> new install?
>>
>> I did get a few updates a short while ago, not sure what was in it
though.

> Looks like SMART is an even better way to go. Any notes on that?

Haven't looked into SMART, although I've read that it works, but that
was from the author.

I have heard/read of conflicting success/failure with updating from a
RC. I would start from scratch if you want a real world "test". My fresh
install of SLED10 on a T41p went w/o any issues whatsoever. I have had
issues with trying to add "unsupported" repositories into the Software
Updater tool and currently use both the software updater for supported
repositories and YaST's installation sources to add packages thru the
YaST Software Management tool for unsupported repositories such as
packman.

I have entered several bugs on the software updater that are in various
states of work in progress. Please feel free to file bug reports on
items that you feel are not adequate and let me know what the numbers
are so I can move them along, if need be, internally.

JP