Re: [SLUG] SLE 10 is now shipping.- corrected insited and updated

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Thu Aug 03 2006 - 14:40:06 EDT

On Thursday 03 August 2006 12:01, John Pugh wrote:

> > Looks like SMART is an even better way to go. Any notes on that?
>
> Haven't looked into SMART, although I've read that it works, but that
> was from the author.
>
> I have heard/read of conflicting success/failure with updating from a
> RC. I would start from scratch if you want a real world "test". My fresh
> install of SLED10 on a T41p went w/o any issues whatsoever. I have had
> issues with trying to add "unsupported" repositories into the Software
> Updater tool and currently use both the software updater for supported
> repositories and YaST's installation sources to add packages thru the
> YaST Software Management tool for unsupported repositories such as
> packman.
>
> I have entered several bugs on the software updater that are in various
> states of work in progress. Please feel free to file bug reports on
> items that you feel are not adequate and let me know what the numbers
> are so I can move them along, if need be, internally.

Gee, that's nice of you!

Yes, this is the part that gets annoying regardless of distro. You need/want
certain things not included. Not only do you need to watch out for
conflicting repo's but anything not standard with that particular repo. Which
cripples its usability. F.ex. I only use Amarok because I need things like
playing random albums, not just random songs, plugin that sets level volume,
ability to play online radio's, and so on. But 10 has this poorly featured
Banshee instead. Ditto with kdetv. Not at all as workable as tvtime.

Now I got it working almost all formats I use. I got mp3, ogg and a few albums
with wma. But wma is not supported. Unless I use mplayer or xine. But then I
have to go through and figure out what changes to make to use xine (which is
installed). However it does not have a stable mplayer available.

All of which I got running under FC5. So it's borderline as to which way to
go. I really don't want to spend all the time to debug everything I need.

I don't even care about what is available and not vs windows as I never use it
and subsequently don't miss it, if that would be the case even. Windows and
company can jump in the river if they want. Not my problem anymore. I feel
things are more reliable in the long run regardless of application issues, as
my O/S is so much more stable.

My time investment vs productivity is way good and has only been getting
better and better over the last 10 years. </ramble>

--

Steve Szmidt

"To enjoy the right of political self-government, men must be capable of personal self-government - the virtue of self-control. A people without decency cannot be secure in its liberty. From the Declaration Principles ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.