Re: [SLUG] boot problem

From: Daniel Jarboe (daniel.jarboe@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Aug 04 2006 - 18:41:15 EDT

On 8/4/06, steve szmidt <steve@szmidt.org> wrote:

> On Friday 04 August 2006 15:54, rwrigh10@tampabay.rr.com wrote:
> > Hello All
> >
> > I have a problem and I'm sure someone out there can help me. My PC was
> > hit by lighting and I had to replace the motherboard. The SATA chip set
> > is not the same. So when I boot my system I get a message: unable to
> > find "VolGroup00"
>
> It seems more like it has found a reference to it but don't see it. It
> does
> not give an error just because there is no logical volume.

Steve, Russ didn't say, but given his situation it's seems a good chance
that he not only had the logical volume defined, but he was using it as his
root device (and would have had a kernel parm root=/dev/VolGroup00/.... in
his grub configuration). Another possibility is that his machine boots into
linux, mounts root successfully, then chokes on the LV when it tries to
mount other filesystems specified in fstab... but that seems considerably
less likely given the possible causes for that and the information he does
provide.

> > As far as I can tell this means that the kernel is not loading the right
> > kernel module driver for the sata hard drive. I googled around and
> > discovered that I might need to modify the initrd.img file and add the
> > proper sata_via module. I'm not sure if this is what I need to do so
> > correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> I've never seen it but it does not sound like it to me.

New SATA chipset = new drive controller; possible that the controller
support wasn't compiled into his kernel, and that the new module isn't in
his initrd because he didn't require it before. Until installed, he can't
exactly read it from /lib/modules/ (the main reason why initrd's were
created in the first place).

When you boot how far does it get?

Again, not specifically mentioned, but pretty good bet until the kernel
panic because it couldn't switch to the root filesystem on the LV.

Are you using the same old drive or is this a rebuilt drive or what?

> Hit e to edit grub when it boots, then see what it is trying to load. If
> you
> are using the same drive I'd figure it to be damaged to some extent.

And I may be completely off here, but take another look at the limited
information Russ did provide in the first paragraph before writing it off.

> I am running Fedora Core 5.
> >
> > How do I modify this file?
>
> You usually generate one when you compile the kernel, never heard of
> editing
> it. Again, I don't think you are on the right track.

this email is not meant to be construed as criticism or taken personally or
anything
~ Daniel