Re: [SLUG] boot problem SOLVED

From: Russ Wright (rwrigh10@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Fri Aug 04 2006 - 18:35:40 EDT

On Fri, 2006-08-04 at 15:54 -0400, rwrigh10@tampabay.rr.com wrote:
> Hello All
>
> I have a problem and I'm sure someone out there can help me. My PC was
> hit by lighting and I had to replace the motherboard. The SATA chip set
> is not the same. So when I boot my system I get a message: unable to
> find "VolGroup00"
>
> As far as I can tell this means that the kernel is not loading the right
> kernel module driver for the sata hard drive. I googled around and
> discovered that I might need to modify the initrd.img file and add the
> proper sata_via module. I'm not sure if this is what I need to do so
> correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> I am running Fedora Core 5.
>
> How do I modify this file?
>
> Regards
> Russ

This is how I did it I followed the instructions at
http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=114819

I stuck the suse 10.1 disk 1 in the drive and chose to do an upgrade.
the setup program loaded the local hard drive and I just changed to the
console and went to

/mnt/boot

And copied the initrd for my kernel to my home directory then worked
from in there.

mkdir ~/tmp
cd ~/tmp
cp /boot/initrd.img ./initrd.gz
gunzip initrd.gz
mkdir tmp2
cd tmp2
cpio -id < ../initrd.img

now you should have a lot of files in ~/tmp/tmp2 directories, including
a lot of subdirectories like sbin,lib

I changed init by adding the following lines:
echo "Loading sata_via.ko module"
insmod /lib/sata_via.ko

and removing

echo "Loading sata_nv.ko module"
insmod /lib/sata_nv.ko

I then copied the files from the kernel modules into the lib directory
cp /lib/modules/2.6.17-1.2157_FC5/kernel/drivers/scsi/sata_via.ko /mnt/home/rwright/init/tmp2/lib

then pack the files back into the archive using the following command
cd ~/tmp/tmp2

find . | cpio --create --format='newc' > ~/tmp/newinitrd
cd ~/tmp
gzip newinitrd

now you would have a newinitrd.gz
rename this now -
mv newinitrd.gz as newinitrd.img
this is the new boot image now !!

I then copied it over to the boot directory, renamed it the same as the
kernel and rebooted!

HUAAAH!!

Russ