Re: [SLUG] Wifi security fun with your neighbors.

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Mon Aug 07 2006 - 12:55:40 EDT

On Monday 07 August 2006 12:23, Levi Bard wrote:
> > Oh, it opens more issues than just being a nice guy. With someone on the
> > inside of your firewall everything the neighbor does is a potential
> > security liability.
>
> Good point; I was assuming the AP was outside the firewall. OTOH, who
> the hell would have a firewall, but then have an unsecured AP inside
> it?!

(Hehe, that is funny!)

I must admit I've not followed wifi security lately. Too many versions with
not a single safe method has kept me from leaving copper. These days I'm not
up to date as I cannot put the time in the way I had to before.

But there was not a single version which had not been hacked, or proved hard
enough, for me to earnestly recommend, or use.

No doubt all but a few installations even use security in any real way. All
but 99.8% are ignorant and could not tell a hole or closed door apart. What's
of course not helping is the very technical nature of how hacking is actually
done.

Not to get too deep, but only a few handfulls of people have had any
appreciation of the unconventional methods used by crackers. A perfect
example is stateful inspection. No manufacturers, which has to count on the
educated side, expected the onslaught of "non standard" communication methods
used in breaking through the IP filtering firewall.

So in the end I just smile when I see abused wifi. It's no surprise to me.

I must say it must been priceless to sit with the neighboors as they were
getting the upside down graphics etc. Just watching them must have been out
of this world!

--

Steve Szmidt

"To enjoy the right of political self-government, men must be capable of personal self-government - the virtue of self-control. A people without decency cannot be secure in its liberty. From the Declaration Principles ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.