Re: [SLUG] Permission denied to CF card.

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Fri Aug 11 2006 - 13:23:39 EDT

On Fri, 11 Aug 2006, Chuck Hast wrote:

> On 8/10/06, Ron Youvan <ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
>> mtab and "mount in a console" should be what shows that which is
>> currently mounted.
>> file system devices can be mounted and not be in fstab.
>>
> I looked at the mtab, but "mount in a console" I am not sure how to display
> it, I tried several mount options and get nothing. If I do
> mount /dev/sda1
> it comes back saying it is mounted in /media/usbdisk.

Remember that device/mount point pair.

>> And when you manually try to mount it what happens?
>
> It mounts and I can see it, but I can only copy in or out of it as root,
> so I have a permissions issue there too.

Yes. And vfat has no native permissions; they're assigned for the whole
drive when you mount it. And...

> Here is the whole thing after the CF is plugged in and I do a mount /dev/sda1
> RF-mobile:/etc # mount /dev/sda1

The fact that you can do this without an error means sda1 has an entry in
/etc/fstab.

> RF-mobile:/etc # mount
> /dev/hda1 /windows/C ntfs ro,noexec,nosuid,nodev,gid=100,umask=0002,nls=utf8 0 0
> /dev/hda2 /windows/D vfat rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,gid=100,umask=0002,utf8=true 0 0
> /dev/sda1 /media/usbdisk vfat rw 0 0

Note the difference between sda1 and hda2. Does hda2 work? If so, you need
to edit /etc/fstab and copy the options from it to sda1.

Additional sofware may get in the way of this.

--
I firmly believed we should not march into Baghdad ...To occupy Iraq
would instantly shatter our coalition, turning the whole Arab world