Re: [SLUG] Permission denied to CF card.

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Aug 11 2006 - 12:54:42 EDT

On 8/10/06, Ron Youvan <ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> mtab and "mount in a console" should be what shows that which is currently mounted.
> file system devices can be mounted and not be in fstab.

I looked at the mtab, but "mount in a console" I am not sure how to display
it, I tried several mount options and get nothing. If I do
mount /dev/sda1
it comes back saying it is mounted in /media/usbdisk.

> And when you manually try to mount it what happens?

It mounts and I can see it, but I can only copy in or out of it as root,
so I have a permissions issue there too.

> Are you trying to mount it with: mount -t vfat ?
> After you copied it's data off and reformatted it, did it automount?

it is a camera CF and the camera has a format it sets up on the thing
Prior to upgrading this whole thing worked perfectly, why did they have
to screw it up???

Here is mtab and mount prior to inserting a cf device...

RF-mobile:/etc # mount
/dev/hda6 on / type reiserfs (rw,acl,user_xattr)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,mode=0620,gid=5)
/dev/hda5 on /boot type reiserfs (rw,acl,user_xattr)
/dev/hda10 on /home type reiserfs (rw,acl,user_xattr)
/dev/hda9 on /opt type reiserfs (rw,acl,user_xattr)
/dev/hda7 on /usr type reiserfs (rw,acl,user_xattr)
/dev/hda8 on /var type reiserfs (rw,acl,user_xattr)
/dev/hda1 on /windows/C type ntfs
(ro,noexec,nosuid,nodev,gid=100,umask=0002,nls=utf8)
/dev/hda2 on /windows/D type vfat
(rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,gid=100,umask=0002,utf8=true)

RF-mobile:/etc # cat mtab
/dev/hda6 / reiserfs rw,acl,user_xattr 0 0
proc /proc proc rw 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw 0 0
debugfs /sys/kernel/debug debugfs rw 0 0
udev /dev tmpfs rw 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,mode=0620,gid=5 0 0
/dev/hda5 /boot reiserfs rw,acl,user_xattr 0 0
/dev/hda10 /home reiserfs rw,acl,user_xattr 0 0
/dev/hda9 /opt reiserfs rw,acl,user_xattr 0 0
/dev/hda7 /usr reiserfs rw,acl,user_xattr 0 0
/dev/hda8 /var reiserfs rw,acl,user_xattr 0 0
/dev/hda1 /windows/C ntfs ro,noexec,nosuid,nodev,gid=100,umask=0002,nls=utf8 0 0
/dev/hda2 /windows/D vfat
rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,gid=100,umask=0002,utf8=true 0 0
RF-mobile:/etc #

Here is the whole thing after the CF is plugged in and I do a mount /dev/sda1
RF-mobile:/etc # mount /dev/sda1
RF-mobile:/etc # mount
/dev/hda6 on / type reiserfs (rw,acl,user_xattr)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,mode=0620,gid=5)
/dev/hda5 on /boot type reiserfs (rw,acl,user_xattr)
/dev/hda10 on /home type reiserfs (rw,acl,user_xattr)
/dev/hda9 on /opt type reiserfs (rw,acl,user_xattr)
/dev/hda7 on /usr type reiserfs (rw,acl,user_xattr)
/dev/hda8 on /var type reiserfs (rw,acl,user_xattr)
/dev/hda1 on /windows/C type ntfs
(ro,noexec,nosuid,nodev,gid=100,umask=0002,nls=utf8)
/dev/hda2 on /windows/D type vfat
(rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,gid=100,umask=0002,utf8=true)
/dev/sda1 on /media/usbdisk type vfat (rw)
RF-mobile:/etc # cat mtab
/dev/hda6 / reiserfs rw,acl,user_xattr 0 0
proc /proc proc rw 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw 0 0
debugfs /sys/kernel/debug debugfs rw 0 0
udev /dev tmpfs rw 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,mode=0620,gid=5 0 0
/dev/hda5 /boot reiserfs rw,acl,user_xattr 0 0
/dev/hda10 /home reiserfs rw,acl,user_xattr 0 0
/dev/hda9 /opt reiserfs rw,acl,user_xattr 0 0
/dev/hda7 /usr reiserfs rw,acl,user_xattr 0 0
/dev/hda8 /var reiserfs rw,acl,user_xattr 0 0
/dev/hda1 /windows/C ntfs ro,noexec,nosuid,nodev,gid=100,umask=0002,nls=utf8 0 0
/dev/hda2 /windows/D vfat
rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,gid=100,umask=0002,utf8=true 0 0
/dev/sda1 /media/usbdisk vfat rw 0 0
RF-mobile:/etc #

As I pointed out above, once I do this, I can look in it and read whatever
is in there as a user, but only root can modify it. If you will
notice, /dev/hda1 has
a vfat directory on it, any user can get into it and read or write to
it. I need for the
removables to have the same thing. Not sure why the upgrade shot the whole
thing in the foot, it was working so nicely.

--
Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
To paraphrase my flight instructor;