RE: [SLUG] Favorite Printer OT

From: Ken Elliott (kelliott11@cfl.rr.com)
Date: Wed Aug 16 2006 - 06:48:05 EDT

>> What is your favorite printer, and why.

Okidata Dot Matrix!!!!

Sorry, I was having a 1980's flashback..

Look at older HP LaserJets. LJ III and up. Fast, cheap (used), ink never
dries up, heads never clog, ink never runs. Did I mention fast? Mine has a
network card, so I can share it among all five PCs. Works great under Win,
All Unix, Mac, etc. Mine has Postscript, and that's a big deal for those of
us DTP (Desk Top Publishing) guys. Duplexers are nice as well.

>> If I cough up the big bucks for a laser will I eventually save it in ink
costs?

Yes, there is some point where it gets cheaper. With ink, if you clog the
printhead/cartridge (HP/Lexmark style) you have effectively used up all the
ink. The longer you go between prints, the more likely you are to get
clogs. On an Epson, it uses lots of ink to clean the nozzles. Canon not as
bad. The bottom line is the cost per page can be huge if you get a clog. I
use Windex (the real stuff) to clean nozzles when all else fails. Dissolves
the ink nicely.

For the record, I have an HP 8.5 x 11 inkjet, HP 11x17 inkjet, HP Laserjet
and a Canon i9900 13x19 photo printer. A Panasonic dot matrix printer waits
in the closet, hoping for a new mission.

Ken Elliott