Re: [SLUG] Favorite Printer OT

From: Pete S. (linux@myraandpete.net)
Date: Fri Aug 18 2006 - 06:07:14 EDT

Bob Stia wrote:

>OK Sluggeers,
>
>What is your favorite printer, and why. Going to replace mine. Just a desktop.
>Doesn't get used that much. Some occasional color photos of garden variety
>stuff. Mostly forms and documents. Prefer parallel to usb.
>
>I have used Epson inkjets for several years and was always satisfied with
>them, until now. The present one is a Stylus C86. It is slow, uses ink in
>prodigious amounts, the heads always need cleaning, and the price of the ink
>is out of sight!! Let alone that sneaky microchip thing they put on the ink
>cartridges.
>
>If I cough up the big bucks for a laser will I eventually save it in ink
>costs?
>
>Like to know what you all think.
>
>Bob S.

>This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked
>Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages
>posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the
>official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.

Been very pleased with the cost and reliablility of Samsung ML-1710
(laser, b&w only). Have had it for ~ 2 years. Picked it up for about
$60 (after S&H and $30 rebate at the time). Have gone through the
origional toner cart. (believe they are 3,000 page cartridge).

Downsides: model I purchased did not have a parallel port, only USB.
This requires USB port or one of the USB networking devices (such as an
HP deskjet networking device). Also, I have found it to jam frequently
with 20# paper. Only using 24# paper has resolved this issue. If I
need color, I usually go to Kinko's, Staples, Snapfish (for pictures) or
friends house. Otherwise, runs like a champ.

Quick search picks it up (refurbished) for $86.72 (including S&H)
http://www.a2zcomp.com/buy.asp?REF=12&SKU=789408R

toner cartridge for $64 (for the 3,000 page capacity)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817102303&ATT=17-102-303&CMP=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r

Pete S.