RE: [SLUG] Favorite Printer OT

From: Ken Elliott (kelliott11@cfl.rr.com)
Date: Fri Aug 18 2006 - 12:51:59 EDT

>>> Avoid color lasers for photos. Inkjets are far better for that.

> Why? Have you seen the output of a photo quality laser printer?

Yes. We have about 20 units of 5 brands at work. None of the are anywhere
close to photo quality. Keep in mind that I'm a photographer, so my
standards might be different.

>>> You might consider a laser for most output, plus a low cost inkjet for
>>> color. But if you don't print much, an inkjet alone may do the job.

> I would think "thermal dye transfer" would be better than inkjet for
color if "you don't print much."

I don't know what printer that is, but some of the dye sub printers are
vastly better for photos than ink jet. But they are horrible for text. Not
worth considering for a general use printer.

Another option - print your photos at Costco, a photo store, etc. They have
high end systems that use true photo paper. Quality is much higher than
anything we'd have at home.

Ken Elliott

> Avoid color lasers for photos. Inkjets are far better for that.

   Why? Have you seen the output of a photo quality laser printer?

> You might consider a laser for most output, plus a low cost inkjet for
> color. But if you don't print much, an inkjet alone may do the job.

   I would think "thermal dye transfer" would be better than inkjet for
color if "you don't print much." (as is the KODAK kiosk at Wally World)

--
    Ron  KA4INM
Knowledge Systems (NKS).  Views and opinions expressed in messages posted