Re: [SLUG] cups is slow (or Samba is)

From: Robert Snyder (robertsnyder@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Aug 21 2006 - 19:45:25 EDT

On 8/21/06, Eben King <eben01@verizon.net> wrote:

> I share a color inkjet (Canon i560) over Samba, and my printer driver is
> CUPS. Lately (say, in the last couple weeks) it's gotten very slow. I'm
> watching the network graph in GKrellm, and it reads & writes
> simultaneously,
> then does nothing for a second, lather, rinse, repeat. This really kills
> performance, pushing the per-page time over a couple minutes (if ever).
> For 802.11b clients, it might take hours, and still not print. What
> should
> I look at? A print server is on order, to take these problems away, but
> in
> the mean time, I'd like to be able to fix it.

Since you say it over samba is it safe to assume that it is attached to a
windows based machine?

I have had this happen to me. Most of the time it is the fault of the
windows machine being unresponsive. Where the signal goes out for the page
to print to the printerspooler(windows machine attached to printer) and
windows has not sent Ack the paged so the client sits and waits for the
print spooler to ack the page it had sent before it sends another.

I would really look at the network traffic and loads of the computer that is
attached to the printer . I belive that is where your bottle neck is.