Re: [SLUG] cups is slow (or Samba is)

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Mon Aug 21 2006 - 20:54:00 EDT

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006, Robert Snyder wrote:

> On 8/21/06, Eben King <eben01@verizon.net> wrote:
>>
>> I share a color inkjet (Canon i560) over Samba, and my printer driver is
>> CUPS. Lately (say, in the last couple weeks) it's gotten very slow.
>> I'm watching the network graph in GKrellm, and it reads & writes
>> simultaneously, then does nothing for a second, lather, rinse, repeat.
>> This really kills performance, pushing the per-page time over a couple
>> minutes (if ever). For 802.11b clients, it might take hours, and still
>> not print. What should I look at? A print server is on order, to take
>> these problems away, but in the mean time, I'd like to be able to fix it.
>
> Since you say it over samba is it safe to assume that it is attached to a
> windows based machine?

The printer is directly attached to LPT1. I serve it via Samba to remote
(well, in this house) XP clients.

> I have had this happen to me. Most of the time it is the fault of the
> windows machine being unresponsive. Where the signal goes out for the page
> to print to the printerspooler(windows machine attached to printer) and
> windows has not sent Ack the paged so the client sits and waits for the
> print spooler to ack the page it had sent before it sends another.
>
> I would really look at the network traffic and loads of the computer that is
> attached to the printer . I belive that is where your bottle neck is.

It _might_ have been due to a spurious line in smb.conf, since removed,
which was

and that's it. Probably I messed it up using vi. I'll have to wait and see
whether that was it.

--
-eben    QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP    royalty.no-ip.org:81
Answer: two spoonfuls in my cup, please.