Re: [SLUG] Firewall

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Fri Sep 01 2006 - 15:00:42 EDT

On Friday 01 September 2006 13:35, Richard Smoot wrote:
> My wife prefers Linux, but needs to reactivate her Win98 so she can
> go to sites using Flash 9. It appears Flash 9 for Linux won't be ready
> until early 2007.
> Zonealarm has stopped supporting Win 98. What was the other
> firewall you were recommending? She hasn't used her Win 98 for
> over a year. I havn't checked AVG yet if it is still good for Win 98.
> This Flash 9 issue could really hurt adoption of desktop Linux's.
> She is finding a lot of sites she goes to require it.

If you have any old machine you can turn that into a great firewall for all
your computers. You configure it to be a cashing DNS too and browsing might
be a bit faster, as it stores addresses.

With OpenBSD you get a state of the art f/w and a secure time server. With
48MB RAM, 500MB disk and 2 NICs you are running.

There are even floppy versions of Linux that contains a f/w. A small CPU is
good because you have less fan noise and power consumption. 486 and up is
plenty.

--

Steve Szmidt

"To enjoy the right of political self-government, men must be capable of personal self-government - the virtue of self-control. A people without decency cannot be secure in its liberty. From the Declaration Principles ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.