[SLUG] Earthlink plays the SiteFinder card

From: Mark Polhamus (meplists@earthlink.net)
Date: Sat Sep 02 2006 - 01:54:07 EDT

(I hope this is on-topic -- it's certainly on topic for Earthlink users out
there, and it could spread if Earthlink gets away with it...)

Remember when VeriSign decided to grab all nonexistent domain names and return
the IP address of their "helpful" search engine called SiteFinder? They did
it using a wildcard DNS entry. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sitefinder.

Now Earthlink is doing the same thing for users of it's DNS servers. Enter a
bad DNS domain and get the IP address of their search/advertising portal run
by an outfit called barefruit.com.

You can read Earthlink's blog about this "helpful" service and the furious

http://blogs.earthlink.net/2006/08/handling_dead_domains_1.php

If you are an Earthlink customer, this is the time to make your opinion known!
 You can post to the blog and there is also an email address in there (search
for "earthling at").

I have Earthlink on my BrightHouse cable, and I am getting intermittent
such domain". Here's an example of an invalid DNS response (telnet to a
nonexistent domain -- shouldn't return IP addresses):

> [mark@warmbreeze cis 199]$ telnet earthlinkmanagementsucksdeadtoads.com 25
> Trying 209.86.66.93...
> telnet: connect to address 209.86.66.93: Connection refused
> Trying 209.86.66.94...
> telnet: connect to address 209.86.66.94: Connection refused
> Trying 209.86.66.95...
> telnet: connect to address 209.86.66.95: Connection refused
> Trying 209.86.66.90...
> telnet: connect to address 209.86.66.90: Connection refused
> Trying 209.86.66.91...
> telnet: connect to address 209.86.66.91: Connection refused
> Trying 209.86.66.92...
> telnet: connect to address 209.86.66.92: Connection refused
> Exit 1
> [mark@warmbreeze cis 200]$

I hope they change their mind about this scummy ploy. I know I can probably
configure other DNS servers*, but I'm p*ssed enough that I'm thinking of
changing providers. It's the height of arrogance for them to break DNS so
they can make more money by spraying advertising and payed links in their
user's faces.

<rant>
Once again the money-grubbing suits who barely know the difference between
HTTP and DNS stick it to the techies who have built this wonderful Internet
which pays their salaries. Only thing worse is the techie creeps at
Barefruit.com who built this abomination. BTW Barefruit also has the
capability to intercept and replace 404 pages(!!), but I haven't seen that yet.
</rant>

My other cable broadband choice is RoadRunner, I guess. Are RoadRunner users
out there happy with the service?

-- Mark Polhamus

* Anyone know how to tell DHCP to leave my /etc/resolv.conf file alone? My
first attempt (DHCLIENT_MODIFY_RESOLV_CONF="no") failed miserably.