Re: [SLUG] VoIP hardware & service provider recommendations

From: Chris Mathey (slug@mathey.org)
Date: Sun Sep 24 2006 - 08:56:02 EDT

I was a Vonage subscriber for at least a couple years and recommend them
to anyone.

Right now I use Viatalk (www.viatalk.com) as they allow you to BYOD
(bring your own device). Currently I use Asterisk to route calls between
my Cisco 7960 and my old Vonage adapter (Linksys RTP300) and the outside
world. The RTP300 was locked to Vonage but I was able to get an unlocked
image loaded on it.

So..
If you just want phone service and don't want to mess with building a
PBX, go with Vonage. I was perfectly happy with them for YEARS

If you are interested with playing with Asterisk, soft phones, hard
phones, or just want more flexibility then I highly recommend Viatalk.

Currently viatalk company is owned by Hostrocket.com. They are debt free
and have excellent customer service. They should be around for awhile.

-Chris