[SLUG] TBCS Event

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Tue Oct 10 2006 - 15:38:24 EDT

Folks:

This is a relay of a message I just received. It may be of interest to
some of you....

This message is going out to people who are allied with local computer user
groups.

Hello,

The Tampa Bay Computer Society (TBCS) is holding a Security Faire at the
Largo Cultural Center next Wednesday. We'll have speakers, movies, and our
TBCS computer techs will be giving FREE Security Check-Ups to anyone who
brings in their computers and routers. The security check-ups are available
all day long. No registration is required for this event.

Note: This event is NOT the same as one of our Random Acts of Kindness
Computer Clinics. We are not going to provide comprehensive repair services
at this event. Over 15,000 people have been invited - our goal is to get
each computer in & out within 15 to 30 minutes.

Dave Gussow will be our keynote speaker that day. His speech, "From Prank
to Profit" will take place at 11am. Jim Coffman will speak on computer
security at 1pm, and Kevin Klim, Special Agent of the FBI, will speak on
"Identity Theft, Spyware, & Viruses" at 2pm. We will also screen movies
dealing with a variety of security issues throughout the day. You will find
schedules and details at:
http://tampa-bay.org/security/

I want to extend a special invitation to those affiliated with computer user
groups. There are two reasons that you might want to join us:

1. We will have a registration area for user groups to recruit members.
Since we expect to have several hundred computer enthusiasts attending
during the course of the day, we know that some will be eager to join groups
where they can get some ongoing computer support. As much as we would like
to sign them to OUR group, often there's a better "fit" for them elsewhere.
We would like your group to have an opportunity to get new members.

2. The security checkup that we are going to do at this event is capable of
being taught to others to take back to your groups and offer to your
members. Please come and let us share some of our methods with you. We
would like to give you a tool that we think is capable of attracting new
members to your club.

That's it. We'd love for you to come on out and join us. Everyone is
invited. Bring your friends and neighbors and join the fun sometime during
the day.

  When: Wednesday, October 18th
Where: Largo Cultural Center: 105 Central Park Dr., Largo, 33771
        (map: http://tampa-bay.org/maps.htm - ignore 1st map; look at 2nd
map)
  When: 10 AM 'til 8 PM
  Info: http://tampa-bay.org/security/