Re: [SLUG] md5 sum check

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Fri Oct 13 2006 - 01:53:02 EDT

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006, Robert Waldo wrote:

> I was downloading Fedora Core 4 64bit and attempted to do a md5 check but
> came up with wildly different values. Is there a different process for
> checking 64bit files?

Check the sizes first with e.g. "ls". If they're the same, run "od -t x1z
$file | less" on each one and see if they look the same by eye.

Actually, hmm, does md5sum _do_ big files? I guess you could run something
like "strace md5sum $file 2>&1 | grep open" and see whether they're
"open64"s. But that might not be the right call to check, and there are
probably easier methods anyhow.

--
-eben      QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP      royalty.no-ip.org:81
A. A Top Poster                       \  http://www.fscked.co.uk/