Re: [SLUG] md5 sum check

From: Daniel Jarboe (daniel.jarboe@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Oct 13 2006 - 06:08:50 EDT

1 byte different difference can and often will change the whole hash
dramatically. By 64-bit files, I assume you mean files that are intended to
be installed on 64-bit architectures... there is nothing unusual about these
files. Most likely one of two things happened... (1) the file is incomplete
or corrupted in some way, or (2) the published md5sum is for a different
file than you are downloading (or possibly just wrong, but distributors are
usually more careful than that). Well, there is also (3), I suppose... the
file has been compromised/modified by a third party.

~ Daniel