Re: [SLUG] What do you all think?

From: Rich Morgan (rmorgan@heavysystems.com)
Date: Tue Oct 17 2006 - 11:45:30 EDT

> Lots of people like to say and/or write things like that, particularly
> tech writers who, as most tech writers do (list members excluded ;),
> have little grasp of the technology and processes involved, but at the
> end of the day, if it wasn't for the FSF, GNU, and the GPL, most Free
> software would have been corporatized, commoditized, and obsoleted
> long ago.

<snip>

I don't think that's the case. You have other successful open source
projects that aren't GNU or GPL like *BSD and Minix. Open source began in
academic circles as a way to share good code both as a learning tool and
as a useful product for colleges that didn't want to pay AT&T for
commercial Unix. So if there wasn't a GNU/Linux, we would probably all
use a BSD for our free Unix alternative.

-Rich