Re: [SLUG] Splitting Cat 6 cable

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Wed Oct 18 2006 - 01:18:13 EDT

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006, Jan Mason wrote:

> I am setting up a new fast Ethernet network that has one 100 foot
> cable in it. I went with Cat 6 cables, Cat 6 plugs, and Cat 6 jacks.
> I want to connect two jacks at either end of the 100 foot cable. Two
> pairs to each jack. The jacks are going into surface mount boxes.
>
> Will there be a performance hit running two data circuits through one
> cable? If there is a hit, do you think that I will still have full
> performance for a fast Ethernet network?
>
> Thanks for your support.

I'm going to guess "if the connections try to transmit or listen at the same
time there will be increased interference". Some Ethernet cables only have
two pairs in them, so you obviously couldn't use those. Also, since this
cable will otherwise be identical to any other cable, make sure you mark it
somehow so it's clear it's different. If you can hijack some ancient
computers, you might run some sort of router software to do that safely.
Why can't you run two parallel cables in the conduit?

--
-eben    QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP    royalty.no-ip.org:81
TAURUS:  You will never find true happiness - what you gonna