[SLUG] date conversion

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Fri Oct 20 2006 - 20:27:48 EDT

So I've been playing with data from my backup script. I've munged the
output of dd (when poked periodically by "kill -USR1") to a form where it
reveals how far into the disk the copy has progressed, so I can glean where
the slowdown is.

AFAICT, something else is happening (logrotate perhaps?) maybe 2/3 through
the copy, but it happens at a certain time, unrelated to the copy progress.
So in order to figure out _what_ time, I need to munge the time/block
numbers dd produces in a _different_ way, one where the time, given in
seconds-since-start, becomes an absolute time.

Getting the start time is straightforward -- use "ps -o lstart $dd_pid".
Fine, convert it to seconds with "date -d blahblah +%s", add it to the
offset, but then what? How do I convert it back?

--
-eben     QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP     http://royalty.no-ip.org:81
An ASCII character walks into a bar and orders a double. "Having a bad