Re: [SLUG] Backlit keyboard OT

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sat Oct 21 2006 - 19:50:20 EDT

Bob Stia wrote:
> Hello Sluggers,
>
> The old guy is vision impaired and is beginning to have a lot of trouble
> seeing the keys on the keyboard. Decided to get a backlit keyboard.
>
> Googling around amd looking at hardware vendors I find that there are quite a
> few offered from $15 to $400. Now I know I don't want the cheapo and can't
> afford the other end, and besides that I have no idea how effective or
> readable they are.
>
> So the OT question is: Do any of you have experience with them or can make a
> reccomendation?? Prefer PS2

As previously mentioned, touch typing is the real answer. However:

Large keyboard legends (yellow keys with black legends), USB keyboard
with a PS/2 adapter. Only problem is that the keyboard layout is the new
"Microsoft" layout for the edit keys. But if you're not a touch typist,
it may not matter. $34.95.

http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/searchdetail.asp?productID=10391

Or:

Same as above but with black keys and white legends:

http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/searchdetail.asp?productID=11270

Or:

As above, but keyboard and keys are white with black legends:

http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/searchdetail.asp?productID=11271

Or:

Backlit, but with the standard layout ($44.97):

http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/searchdetail.asp?productID=11141

I'm guessing that the "large legend" keyboard is more what you want,
rather than a backlit one, unless you insist in working in low light
conditions.

I can't vouch for the quality of these products, but for weird
hard-to-find stuff, I love Cyberguys. You can get on their mailing list,
and they'll send you a paper catalog once in a while, with everything
you could ever want to build PCs, repair PCs, etc.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster