Re: [SLUG] Microsoft rides the NERD SLED!

From: Rich Morgan (rmorgan@heavysystems.com)
Date: Fri Nov 03 2006 - 09:18:25 EST

On Fri, November 3, 2006 8:54 am, John Pugh wrote:
> BTW..if it wasn't covered well - and I haven't seen adequate coverage yet,
> the deal is in 4 key areas, virtualization, web services management,
> interoperability, and patent protection.

This is what concerns me: Linux is doing just fine in these areas already.
 Development is progressing at a good pace and improvements are happening
without being under the auspices of Microsoft's Patent Protection(tm). We
are winning in the server/datacenter arena (including all Unix-like
systems) and making gains in the home.

Ok here's some brainstorming to get your thoughts on:
Why Novell? They hold key Unix patents. Hostile takeover and control of
Unix IP? Given Novell's history of lawsuits and clashes with Microsoft in
the past, why now? What has changed?

Why MS? They control the desktop. Vista is coming up. Everyone is
knocking it. Mass exodus to Linux or MacOS likely. Trying to soften the
blow? Appear as willing to work with the OSS community? If they were
really wanting to help the OSS community they should work with Transgaming
and Wine to improve the state of windows binary compatibility. Or they
could adopt a true Open Source license when they "release" what little
code they have released thus far...

Is this a response to Oracle? Worried that IBM is leaving them behind
with Linux support? Is IBM as likely to continue their support of the
Linux community given Microsoft's involvement? IBM has donated a lot of
code. What has MS done?

Could this be a case of "snatchig defeat from the jaws of victory"? I can
hear the sounds of RMS choking from here.

v/r,
Rich Morgan
OpenAddict.com