Re: [SLUG] Microsoft rides the NERD SLED!

From: John Pugh (jpugh@novell.com)
Date: Fri Nov 03 2006 - 13:03:49 EST

<3611.208.205.82.65.1162563505.squirrel@www.heavysystems.com>, "Rich Morgan"
<rmorgan@heavysystems.com> wrote:
> On Fri, November 3, 2006 8:54 am, John Pugh wrote:
>> BTW..if it wasn't covered well - and I haven't seen adequate coverage yet,
>> the deal is in 4 key areas, virtualization, web services management,
>> interoperability, and patent protection.
>

> This is what concerns me: Linux is doing just fine in these areas already.
> Development is progressing at a good pace and improvements are happening
> without being under the auspices of Microsoft's Patent Protection(tm). We
> are winning in the server/datacenter arena (including all Unix- like
> systems) and making gains in the home.

Patent protection was probably used incorrectly or at least read and construed incorrectly - bottom line - Microsoft and Novell will not sue any entity over patent issues included in each others product portfolio.

> Ok here's some brainstorming to get your thoughts on:
> Why Novell? They hold key Unix patents. Hostile takeover and control of
> Unix IP? Given Novell's history of lawsuits and clashes with Microsoft in
> the past, why now? What has changed?
>
> Why MS? They control the desktop. Vista is coming up. Everyone is
> knocking it. Mass exodus to Linux or MacOS likely. Trying to soften the
> blow? Appear as willing to work with the OSS community? If they were
> really wanting to help the OSS community they should work with Transgaming
> and Wine to improve the state of windows binary compatibility. Or they
> could adopt a true Open Source license when they "release" what little
> code they have released thus far...
>
> Is this a response to Oracle? Worried that IBM is leaving them behind
> with Linux support? Is IBM as likely to continue their support of the
> Linux community given Microsoft's involvement? IBM has donated a lot of
> code. What has MS done?
>
> Could this be a case of "snatchig defeat from the jaws of victory"? I can
> hear the sounds of RMS choking from here.

Well..the deal was being worked well before the Oracle announcement so while it looks that way and we will definitely capitalize on that opportunity, the opportunity for us to have MS pay us to take their marketshare is one that we are focused upon 20/20.

JP