Re: [SLUG] Microsoft rides the NERD SLED!

From: John Pugh (jpugh@novell.com)
Date: Fri Nov 03 2006 - 13:51:19 EST

I'm not a lawyer and cannot comment on the legal concerns - obviously you have significant experience in patent law and understand the GPL's legal ramifications. Novell does have several lawyers on staff that do understand and have had significant experience in GPL and intellectual property law.

Of course - RH tried to do last year what Novell succeeded at doing yesterday.
http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2005/08/11/_redhat_microsoft_patents/

RH sees this agreement as a victory for Linux.
http://news.com.com/Red+Hat+couches+Microsoft-Novell+pact+as+a+Linux+win/2100-7344_3-6132323.html?tag=st.ref.goo

And Novell works very closely with FSF, contributes to it's cause and is fully aligned with the open source community as a whole.
http://news.com.com/Novell+bans+proprietary+Linux+modules/2100-7344_3-6100659.html

There are many ways to view this agreement, all of you are entitled to your own. I, personally, see it as a huge bonus for everyone and now a significant ability for Linux to start taking MS workloads over and be supported by the monopoly who will not be a monopoly much longer.

JP

<1132.208.205.82.65.1162577998.squirrel@www.heavysystems.com>, "Rich Morgan"