Re: [SLUG] Microsoft rides the NERD SLED!

From: Rich Morgan (rmorgan@heavysystems.com)
Date: Fri Nov 03 2006 - 14:25:00 EST

On Fri, November 3, 2006 1:51 pm, John Pugh wrote:
> I'm not a lawyer and cannot comment on the legal concerns - obviously you
> have significant experience in patent law and understand the GPL's legal
> ramifications. Novell does have several lawyers on staff that do
> understand and have had significant experience in GPL and intellectual
> property law.

Sarcasm aside, I am a consumer and I feel betrayed by the Suse brand. We
don't need witty comments from Novell reps, we need Linux companies that
won't throw it's users under the bus. Hardly anyone aside from Microsoft
and Novell see this deal as a Good Thing(tm).

> There are many ways to view this agreement, all of you are entitled to
> your own. I, personally, see it as a huge bonus for everyone and now a
> significant ability for Linux to start taking MS workloads over and be
> supported by the monopoly who will not be a monopoly much longer.

I certainly respect the right to have your opinion and I *sincerely* hope
history proves you correct. But Linux has _already_ been steadily taking
over Microsoft's workload. We basically own the server market. We've
been making huge inroads on the desktop with polished products like SLED
and RHEL. Why turn around and make this deal with Microsoft now? Is it
really worth it to Novell lose so much street cred??

Oh well, the deal is done. Now let the chips fall.

v/r,
Rich Morgan
OpenAddict.com