Re: [SLUG] Microsoft rides the NERD SLED!

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sat Nov 04 2006 - 01:59:31 EST

Rich Morgan wrote:
> On Fri, November 3, 2006 7:19 pm, Paul M Foster wrote:
>> Hassling these Linux company reps is like hassling the operator when
>> your phone doesn't work. *She* can't fix it, so why give her grief?
>> These Linux company reps have a responsibility to represent their
>> companies, and to forward the company line. Can't really blame them for
>> that, even if you disagree with them.
>
> I wasn't blaming John at all for anything. In fact, I had totally
> forgotten he was on the list until he responded to my e-mails like it was
> a personal attack on him. I even e-mailed him off the list and apologized
> if I offended him, to which he didn't respond.
>

>> If we *ever* get another Linux company rep on the list, it would be nice
>> if we cut the guy a little more slack.
>
> Like I said, I think he took it personally. But hey, *I* took it
> personally that I just spent weeks of tweaking and playing with openSuse
> getting it exactly the way I wanted it on my laptop and then something
> like this MS/Novell deal happens. I didn't totally drop Windows just to
> have Novell turn around and leap into Microsoft's arms.

Here's why he took it personally:

"Your intent might have been to take Microsoft's market share, but you have
opened the door to Microsoft challenging the GPL in court. Given their
considerable war chest, you and all other Linux companies should now be
very, very concerned. Have you not seen the remains of former Microsoft
'partners' that you had to step over to sign this agreement?"

It's a quirk of English. We don't have a separate second person plural
pronoun. "You" could mean you personally, or you as a group. In this
case, phrasing it this way, John took it personally, even though he knew
he didn't *personally* set up the deal. What followed was a snide
comment about Rich's obviously profound legal knowledge (he's not a
lawyer). To which Rich then escalated with his own sarcasm.

And so it goes.

And this wasn't the first time this type of exchange has taken place
with John, nor with the formerly present Red Hat rep. And yes, they get
cranky and reply back with similar venom. Understandable. And yes, they
should have thick skins.

But that's not the point. Imagine you're a Bucs fan and you've got ten
people hounding you about how sucky the Bucs are. At some point, you
begin to feel personally attacked, and you fight back. And you certainly
don't want to hang around here anymore.

Of course, if you don't want company reps on the list, let me know. That
way, if one gets on again, I can send them an email expressing the
group's wishes, and inviting them to leave. I have no personal stake in
it either way. I just think it's a shame to lose a good resource.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster