RE: [SLUG] Microsoft rides the NERD SLED!

From: Ken Elliott (kelliott11@cfl.rr.com)
Date: Sat Nov 04 2006 - 08:01:32 EST

>> If we *ever* get another Linux company rep on the list, it would be nice
if we cut the guy a little more slack.

I've been out of town, and just got a chance to read the entire thread.
Frankly, I felt the group was quite harsh to John. I don't believe anyone
meant to, but that is how _I_ read it. Statements about the "Linux
community" are made, implying that we all think one way. As a member of
that community, I disagree with many of these statements. It seems to _me_
that many on the list believe Microsoft is evil and anyone that does
anything with them also becomes evil.

I don't see this deal as a bad thing, and I don't know if it's a good thing.
I suspect Microsoft intends to help Novell/SuSE, and in doing that, will
cause customer migration from other distros to SuSE. This could reduce the
number/size/strength of competitors in the server space, and make it easier
for Microsoft to deal with. They don't know how to deal with the "Linux
thing". So they help Novell become the number one Linux distro, and hope
that compresses the market into (mostly) a single competitor. Microsoft
knows how to deal with one competitor.

It's not clear that GPL is being violated. If I contribute code, and MS
asserts patent claims, I have a problem - even if their claim is invalid.
The cost of fighting the legal battle is a concern. But if I contribute to
SuSE, the suggestion is that I would never have to fight that battle. I am
not a lawyer, but I do deal with designing around others patents. I have a
couple of my own, and always want them as broad as possible. The patent
game has a huge grey area and it's not a bad thing that MS and Novell have a
"no sue" zone. It's not perfect, and many will bitch about it, but overall
it's not bad and could be a very positive thing. Time will tell.

I'm sad to see John leave us. I hope he comes back, but I wouldn't blame
him if he didn't. Nothing helps Microsoft more than the Linux community
attacking it's own members.

Ken Elliott