Re: [SLUG] Microsoft rides the NERD SLED!

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Nov 05 2006 - 16:04:57 EST

On 11/5/06, michael hast <evylrobot19@cox.net> wrote:
> Levi Bard wrote:
> >> John has now uns*bscr*bed from this list, which is a real shame.
> >
> > Is it? He *has* made a rare few useful contributions, but 99% of the
> > time, when somebody asks a question on-list, the exchange goes like
> > this:
> >
> > ListUser: Hi everyone, I'm looking for a way to list files under a
> > certain directory that are above a certain size, sorted by filesize.
> >
> > JP: Novell Enterprise-Ready Desktop/Suse Linux Enterprise Desktop
> > 19.4 comes with a file search application preinstalled, and it will
> > also interface with Banshee, our new media player that lets you
> > simultaneously upload content to your iPod and your MySpace.
> >
> > ListUser: Thanks, that's very interesting, but it's really not what
> > I'm looking for. For one thing, I'm using Fedora Core 5, and I was
> > really just looking for a little command-line script or something.
> >
> > JP: You could also try Beagle, which is also preinstalled with Novell
> > Enterprise-Ready Desktop/Suse Linux Enterprise Desktop version 19.4,
> > and will index all of your files for integration with all of your
> > GNOME application, like Banshee.
> >
> > ListUser: Uhh...
> >

> >> If we *ever* get another Linux company rep on the list, it would be nice
> >> if we cut the guy a little more slack.
> >
> > Perhaps the reason that previous reps haven't been cut much slack is
> > that they're generally more interested in shilling their wares than in
> > being productive members of the discussions held herein.
> >
> That's a little harsh, dude. Yeah, he plugged the product quite a bit,
> granted. But, if I found out that you were a firefighter at a station
> with an aged breathing air compressor that was giving you fits, I would
> make sure that you were aware that the company I work for could provide
> a high-quality new one affordably. There have been plenty of times that
> John posted like a broken record, but was he doing anything more than
> taking pride in his work? It's really sad that there's not more of that
> in our society. He shouldn't be insulted for it. Paul is absolutely
> right. Cut the guy some slack. I don't use Suse, but I think it's a
> fine distribution. There are many things that it does a whole lot
> easier than my beloved Debian. I didn't make my feelings a secret when
> I got a reply to a Q that you caricaturized above. But, it's called a
> grain of salt, my man. It takes all types to make the world go round,
> and I'm not about to give a "good riddance" on this one.

Thanks Neph...
Folks, I do run SuSE... presently 10.1. John has been a great resource
for me, and indeed his job is the promotion of his product. I as my nephew
said about his product, you were to ask me about EAS systems or water
level monitors I assure you I would give you a load about both of them,
that is what puts the bread on my table. If you were on a EAS or water
level monitor list and I observed you had a issue that my products could
clear up, I assure you I would make it known that my products would
give you a helping hand.

Now, on to something else, the other day when I was in Mex City trying to
SSH into my systems here in FL and for some strange reason all I got
were errors and dumped, John gave me a account on a machine of his
to test, I was able to ssh into his machine and from there to mine, problem
resolved, I was able to get to my machines and do what I needed, round
about yet, but it worked, and it was John who made it possible. No one
else offered to give me that help, and I do not hold it against anyone, but
John did go the extra bit, and for that reason I am greatful, as it allowed
me to do what I needed to do, I hope at some time I can repay it, but now
I am if nothing else ashamed of what I have seen, we like many other
specialty groups generate a lot of friendly fire, and that is not at all good.

As to the MS Novell, issue, anything that has MS stamp on it worries me
but at the same time Novell has been able to stay around for a good
many years, and let us see what happens. My feelings about MS go
back to when DOS 6 or whatever it was with I think it was "stacker"
(came as part of the install) proceeded to convert my HD into a useless
piece of hw, and forced me to go through a bazillion floppies in order
to get things back on line, at that point I moved to OS/2 which I used
until Linux got to where I could use it as my primary desktop and laptop
system, and here I am now doing this on a very nice LInux system. I
have no trust in MS, and compared to a rattlesnake, I would rather
set down next to the snake, I know a rat and a gentle rub in the right
place with no fast moves will keep the snake happy, same can not
be said for MS, but at the same time we should give it some time to
see what happens.

Do what you want to, but having people who rep the different distros on
the list is not a bad thing, and I think that they in general roll with what
is tossed at them but when you go out for blood in the process you do
cause the loss of a resource if not to your self to others, and that is not
correct here or anywhere else.

Now I shall crawl back into my snake den, gudday to ya'l... Don't
shoot your soldiers...

--
Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
To paraphrase my flight instructor;