Re: [SLUG] Cheap'n good laptops for Linux

From: Bob Stia (rnr@sanctum.com)
Date: Tue Nov 14 2006 - 01:50:35 EST

On Monday 13 November 2006 15:42, Paul M Foster wrote:
> Bob Stia wrote:
> > On Monday 13 November 2006 09:26, Robert Snyder wrote:
> >> On 11/13/06, Jonathon Conte <thesicktwist@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> >> If Free Software is important to you and/or you don't want to have
> >> to deal

> > And Why ???? Would you avoid NVIDIA ??? It is clearly superior to
> > ATI and is supported in Linux,uncluding 3D.
>
> Jonathon started out that paragraph with:
>
> "If Free Software is important to you"...
>
> NVidia drivers, although they work with Linux, are *proprietary*. In
> fact, kernel developers are having a debate currently about
> proprietary drivers like this. If you use one currently, you'll get a
> message that the kernel is "tainted" (meaning that if you have
> problems with Linux while running one of these proprietary drivers,
> don't call them). But some kernel developers want to take a harder
> line. What that will entail, I don't know.
>
> Yes, NVidia drivers are pretty good, and NVidia cards deliver nice
> performance. But they've steadfastly refused to release source for
> their drivers. Thus, if you're further toward RMS than Linus on this,
> you'll want to avoid them.

Hi Paul,

Welllllll.....yes and no. True, Nvidia wants to control it's sources.
But, it is still free and available to any and all in the Linux
community. And they are serious about it because they are continually
upgrading drivers as new kernels evolve. I mean, what more can you ask
of them? Why would you hold that against them?

Kind of like you coming into my ice cream storefront when I am giving you
free ice cream and demanding that I provide you with the recipe for that
flavor.

Hey !! Whatever! I guess everybody has their own viewpoint and opinion.
Somebody wants to give me a free superior product that suits my needs and
expectations ? Hey, Why not ??

Lovin Nvidia and it's products, especially it's Linux support which ATI
has not done. (until very very recently, and not fully)

Bob S.