Re: [SLUG] Cheap'n good laptops for Linux

From: Bob Stia (rnr@sanctum.com)
Date: Tue Nov 14 2006 - 02:11:28 EST

On Monday 13 November 2006 22:16, Donald E Haselwood wrote:
> Thanks for the thoughts. Helps a lot. I just didn't want to run
> across some great bargain and find that getting Linux going on it
> would be a big project.

Don,

I replied because I felt that you could be influenced by a very biased
and "purist" opinion and I felt I needed to correct that bias. Probably
the greatest majority of Linux users, of all distros, use Nvidia because
everything "just works".

Yes, Nvidia is proprietary, but, unlike ATI, it provides the latest and
greatest drivers available, including 3D for free. What part of FREE
don't we understand?

You are also free to choose whatever videocard you want. I just did not
want you to be wrongly and negatively influenced by seemingly
authoritive FUD.

Bob S.