Re: [SLUG] MP3 Players on Linux

From: Mark Polhamus (meplists@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Nov 17 2006 - 14:59:00 EST

Richard Smoot wrote:
> I am running SUSE 9.3 Pro. I got my wife a Sandisk SMX1 1024R v2 player.
> I ripped a cd for her. I have the MP3 files ready. I hooked it up with the
> included USB cable. It says it is hooked up. I can't find it in the file
> manager to transfer the files.
> I have a USB card reader for my camera memory, which works perfectly.
> I thought this would be similar.
> How does an MP3 player show up in SUSE?

Probably (hopefully) as a USB storage device. After you plug it in look
at the end of /var/log/messages to see what partitions the OS detected.
 You will probably see a device name like "/dev/sda1", that is what you
could mount, as in:

    mkdir /tmp/smx1
    mount -t auto /dev/sda1 /tmp/smx1

I run SuSE 9.3 do something similar for a Nikon camera I own. The exact
device name can be "/dev/sda1" or "/dev/sdb1", ... depending on what
other USB storage devices I have plugged in at the time.

Yes it might be nicer if SuSE automatically mounted it for you. I
haven't bothered to learn how to set that up. Maybe someone else can
chime in to tell us how to do that.

-- Mark